The Zen Den
Hi! Ciao! ¡Hola! Cześć! Salut! Hallo! Welcome to the forum!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Zen Den
Hi! Ciao! ¡Hola! Cześć! Salut! Hallo! Welcome to the forum!
The Zen Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Britannica
Britannica
https://juniperandhazels.co.uk

Inspirational Films Empty Inspirational Films

Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:23 am
Good Morning everyone,

I hope it's fine to start a new topic here, but I'd like to share some films and series with you that I find inspirational and that probably shaped my way of life in one way or the other. Before I start my list, I want to say that these films/series might seem a little "light" to some of you. Since I'm a highly sensitive person, visual material affects me a lot (probably the reason why I decided to become an art historian Smile) Anyway, films/series affect me so much that I suffer intensely if I see something very brutal or sad.
I would love to read your lists of films/series that inspired you and why.

1. Paddington 1&2 -> I know it's for children, but watching these films really ease anxiety and I'm a huge fan of Paddington anyway. I'd even argue that Paddington is a national hero who stands up against xenophobia and Brexit. He is praising kindness, friendship and doing the right thing. Love it!

2. Endeavour -> It is a criminal series dealing with the younger years of famous Inspector Morse. It's set in Oxford, which is reason enough for me to watch and like it, but the series is also staged in the 60s and has a gloomy atmosphere. Endeavour (which is the first name of Inspector Morse) is an outsider because he likes to learn, loves classical music in a time when rock is popular, etc. This is something I can identify with, which makes the series a real favourite... and I mean who doesn't like a good crime series.

3. Gilmore Girls -> To be honest, I see this series very critical nowadays because Rory is a highly privileged girl who had every opportunity in the world, ending up with "only" a B.A. in some journalist subjects and no real job. Not that I think that everybody needs to strive for academic degrees – on the contrary. Rory just becomes too self-opinionated towards the end of the series and thinks she would get a job at the NY Times right after college. However, when I was 14, Rory was an inspiration for me, and without this series, I probably would have never come across the idea to study myself. This is why I'm thankful for the series though.

4. Dead Poet's Society –> This doesn't need any explanation does it? It also triggered my morbid longing for boarding schools, which are probably the utter horror in reality.

5. Maurice -> I first read the book by E.M. Forster and then found out that the young Hugh Grant was playing in the film. This story covers the important topic of homosexuality at the beginning of the twentieth century.

6. Amélie -> It's a classic, but no other film transports the message of loving life, others and yourself as aesthetically as this film.

7. Bletchley Circle -> I have a weak spot for historical dramas, and particularly the whole story around Bletchley Park, Alan Turing, and cyphers is intriguing to me. I like how the series tells the story of the women at Bletchley Park and how they had to go back to their normal lives afterwards, and how they fought for their rights the acknowledgement of their skills.

8. Harry Potter obviously Razz -> particularly the early ones when nobody dies yet. Razz

9. Waking Ned Divine -> This is one of the funniest films I watched. It's set in Ireland. What I particularly like about it is how they deal with the topic of age. Particularly as a girl, society seems to suggest that your value is higher when you stay young forever. I remember when I was watching this film, I was thinking of how much fun I want to have no matter what age.

10. Elizabethtown -> I watched this film when I was 16 and much-loved relative of mine died. It really helped me then to deal with mourning and grief and to find positivity and optimism. Today, I know about the controversy of the 'manic pixie dream girl', but the film, nonetheless, inspired me to change my way of thinking and also encouraged me to think about how I want to behave, to be, to act, etc.

There are many other films I like but I wanted to focus on those that affected my life choices in one way or the other. Thus, I'm curious about your stories.

All the best,
Britannica
Innisfree
Innisfree

Inspirational Films Empty Re: Inspirational Films

Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:08 pm
Dear Zen Denners and Cinephiles,

First of all, thank you for recommendations Britannica. I can't agree more with you about how perfectly done aesthetically speaking is the movie "Amelie", I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings but I daresay european movies are better in terms of deep plots and esthetic (especially french movies).
Here's a list of movies that caught my attention from the point of view of deepness of their plots (I don't want you to think dear Zen denners that I am a die hard fan of such movies, but, Isn't it great when you are able to think beyond what is being shown?).

- Persona (Ingmar Bergman): I couldn't resist not mentioning this sixties movies in the first place, it deserves to be in that place, believe me. Don't be discouraged by the year when it was released, this movie is mind blowing (hence, I recommend you to watch it when you'll have enough time to think about it because believe me, it will blow your mind). It is basically about an actress who lose her voice while performing at the stage, she is sent to a hospital for her recovery. Losing her voice is just an excuse for something greater and deeper, the plot is about her and a young nurse who has to take care of her in a far away island where you, my dearest reader, will be able to see many topics from philosophy to psychology (as for example the ego projection, the relation between psychologists and patients, among many other I won't tell you). Finally, since I don't want to write any spoilers, "Persona" was the word that greek people used for the mask that actors wore during the performances.... that's a sort of hint for one of the topics of this complex movie, I truly recommend it!.

- Jagten: Starring Mads Mikkelsen, a danish movie, a drama. It is about a kindergarten teacher (role performed by Mads) who is accused, by the daughter of his best friend, of sexual abuse. You can feel the black atmosphere all over the movie around the character performed by Mads who has to deal with the inhabitants of the little town where he lives who want to think that he is guilty.

- The seventh seal (Once again, Ingmar Bergman): The seventh seal is the story of a crusade soldier who came back to his town while there's an epidemic all over the world. He meets the Death itself when he is trying to get back home. They make a deal: they will play chess, if the soldier dies, Death will take his soul..... the intrepid soldier will do anything to stay alive, no matter what!.

- "Le scaphandre et le papillon": Finally, here's a french movie. It is based on a true story, it is about a french editor of the magazine "Elle" who suffers a brain stroke, hence the title of the movie, "Le scaphandre", "the diving bell" because he (the magazine editor) felt that he was imprisoned in his own body, like if he was wearing a diving bell in the deep ocean (you will find out what he meant with such thoughts by watching the movie).

Let me know if you watch any of these movies!, I can't wait to read your comments on each movie.

A big hug from Chile,

Max
Laurelite
Laurelite
Admin
https://thezenden.forumotion.com

Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:46 pm
Dear Zen Denners,

I love your lists! Fantastic idea Britannica, it's lovely to read how these movies and shows have had a positive impact on your life. I too am very sensitive and empathetic, so there were a few movies I omitted from this list that I once watched, which were without a doubt inspirational in some way, but were very upsetting too. The Green Mile and Shawshank Redemption for example. Thanks for the great recommendations guys! I would totally say the same thing about Harry Potter haha! I will definitely watch Amelie now, your description sounds wonderful. Innisfree, I will also have to watch Persona because of your excellent review.

Hmm I've had to think quite hard about my own list. I'd have to narrow it down to the following; (in no particular order)

- Eat, Pray, Love: I'm a little late to the party with this one as I watched it not long ago. Nevertheless, I absolutely loved it and can definitely say it had an impact on me and has stuck with me since. The idea of finding true fulfilment in life, leaving behind everything you've ever known and thought you wanted for yourself, and going on a journey of complete transformation. It was truly an uplifting and inspirational film in my eyes.

- Life is Beautiful/La Vita è Bella: Recommended to me by Perseo earlier this year, I fell in love with the story and the characters straight away. Roberto Benigni is truly an outstanding actor and a joy to watch.The story itself is quite upsetting, set during World War II, but it is the gift the father gives to his son that moved me so much and is why I had to include it. Guido turns the whole situation into a game so that his young son is not afraid and will never realise what is going on. I would most certainly recommend this film, but I will say to watch with an open heart and do not dwell on the situation at the time. Look instead at the love of a man for his family and his dedication to preserving only the beauty of life, even at the worst of times.

- Castaway: I cried...even after the film had long ended. The love of a man and his personified volleyball...just kidding aha. 'This movie is a moving exploration of what happens when everything we hold on to is taken away from us.'

- The Shack: Oh boy did I cry. Firstly, let me say that the book (which I read first) changed my life. It changed me as a person. Above all other books I will recommend, I would absolutely love it if we read this for the Book Club one month. The film brought it all to life for me, it is a beautiful and raw story about forgiveness and God - but it is not a story about religion, it is about love and oneness. “...if anything matters then everything matters. Because you are important, everything you do is important. Every time you forgive, the universe changes; every time you reach out and touch a heart or a life, the world changes; with every kindness and service, seen or unseen, my purposes are accomplished and nothing will be the same again.”
― Wm. Paul Young, The Shack. I can't even read this without tearing up.

- The Notebook: The first time I watched it, it absolutely killed me (in a good way...), and it has every time I've watched it since. It's a beautiful movie with a beautiful, heart-wrenching story about true love.

- Babe: I watched this so many times as a child, (I realise through writing this post that I cry at every film...even the happy ones...shh) it is a wonderful film - and that scene gets me every time. I'm leaving this link here because if you haven't seen it, you really need to. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H11mlCL-dkE (This is where my love of pigs comes from).

- A Dog's Journey: Well goodness, I did not expect a film about a dog to move me as much as it did and to have such depth to it's story line.

- Watership Down: The film of my childhood. Don't let the fact it's about rabbits fool you, they aren't all sweet and fluffy. The animation is spectacular, and is something I have only come to appreciate through watching again as an adult. Of course, you can't think of Watership Down and not immediately start singing Art Garfunkel's 'Bright Eyes'.

- A documentary called E-motion 2.0: This impacted me greatly as I used the healing techniques on myself. It explains how trapped emotions can manifest as symptoms, and even disease, in the body and how to release them.

- Not a show or a movie, but inspirational nonetheless, Jim Carrey's commencement speech at Maharishi University. You can watch it here if you wish https://meditationsydney.org.au/jim-carreys-commencement-speech-at-maharishi-university/. "I can tell you from experience, the effect you have on others is the most valuable currency there is."

Others will probably come to mind after I've posted this, but here we are for now. Smile Also, I'd like to add that it's interesting how we now interpret these same movies we once watched as children. Even just since the last time we watched them, when we were perhaps at a different stage of life, in a different mindset, a different person to who we are now. It's like looking at things with a fresh pair of eyes.

Hugs from England,

Laurelite
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum